Search This Blog

Friday, March 03, 2006

Off on a rant

I really didn't want to inject anything political into my blog. I'm a self-professed progressive/liberal, but more of a moderate than at the extreme; the occasional email messages from my more conservative friends degrading/demeaning Democrats don't really phase me at all. I know where I stand and am secure with my beliefs, but I'm also open to other interpretations of politics and opinions. It's not below me to vote for a Republican if I feel they're the better qualified candidate.

Today a friend of mine forwarded to me a news story that Congress will soon ask for yet another raise in the nation's debt ceiling, this time to $9 trillion. That would make the fourth such increase in the past fives years. This is tantamount to someone asking their credit card company to increase their spending limit because they'd rather have that than actually trying to control their spending and stick to a budget. It makes me very angry that the future of the nation is being mortgaged away by those in power. To give you some idea of how much money that is, the median income in the U.S. per the 2003 census was $65,093. It would take you 13,826 years at that payrate to earn $9 trillion. But I guess that when you elect as president a half-wit asshat who has run every business he's been affiliated with into the ground, you should expect his bad fortune to become your bad fortune. I made this analogy to a friend of mine, and I'll repeat it here: The U.S. has become some down-on-his-luck Vegas gambler hoping that his luck will change and he'll hit the jackpot and pay off all his gambling debts. Instead, he just digs himself deeper into debt. It's just a matter of time before the Chinese (who own most of our debt) come and break our kneecaps.

I'm mad as hell and not going to take it anymore! Sorry, I'll stop ranting now and get back to writing tales.

No comments: